LinkedIn has dramatically changed the landscape of recruiting services in the past few years. This site created a whole new way to find the right candidates in the shortest amount of time.
Previously, companies and recruiters depended on sites such as Dice, Monster, and CareerBuilder to find qualified workers. The drawback with this approach was that recruiters could use only the information gleaned from the resume supplied by the candidate.
It’s not necessarily possible for HR professionals to know whether the resume is current or not. Many candidates update their profiles only when they decide to pursue new jobs.
What’s different about LinkedIn
LinkedIn provided a platform for working professionals to combine social networking with a living version of their resume. It enabled them to network with other professionals around the world.
LinkedIn allows professionals to keep in touch with colleagues from previous employers and to study potential future employers. The benefit of retaining and growing your professional network is obvious in an interconnected world.
Everyone is more likely to keep his or her profile current on LinkedIn, because it’s always visible to the person’s professional network. LinkedIn also allows members to request professional recommendations from peers, bosses, and professional contacts.
Recommendations are a great way for recruiters and future employers to assess the candidate’s strengths and skills. LinkedIn also allows recruiters to contact a member directly to match job openings.
A game-changer for recruiters
LinkedIn offers services to recruiters via the Hiring Solutions platform. Hiring Solutions consists of LinkedIn Recruiter, LinkedIn Job Postings, LinkedIn Employment Branding, and the LinkedIn Talent Pipeline.
• LinkedIn Recruiter provides recruiters access to a massive database of more than 300 million members around the globe.
• LinkedIn Job Postings allows recruiters to buy targeted ads, which are displayed to the targeted demographic.
• LinkedIn Employment Branding is a service that allows companies to create their own career portal on LinkedIn, with job postings, company benefits, and other company news.
• LinkedIn Talent Pipeline allows recruiters to monitor and track potential candidates with skills that match a company’s job openings.
LinkedIn also offers automated features to “source” candidates more effectively. Employers can cut down the amount of time needed to find new candidates.
They don’t need to maintain an in-house database of potential candidates anymore. Instead, companies can tap into a single, global source of candidates at any time. LinkedIn is changing the structure of the $130 billion recruiting industry with its innovative Hiring Solutions.
The most compelling reasons to recruit via LinkedIn
• Recent expansion into new markets such as China
• Easy access to a searchable database of professionals
• LinkedIn profiles are much more accurate than those on other social media sites
• It takes candidates less than a minute to review and apply for new jobs
• LinkedIn supports ads targeted toward top level executives in selected companies
• LinkedIn offers the InMail feature so recruiters may communicate directly with potential candidates
LinkedIn continues to transform the recruiting industry. It appears to have more room to grow and recruiters see several compelling reasons to go with LinkedIn.